Double fonts in Gnome

HELP!

In trying to get better fonsts in Netscape I did something to turn most
of my fonts into Double Fonts, with one letter printing on top of
another but with a slight shift. The most recent change I had made was
to use dselect to install:
gsfonts-x11
gtkfontsel
libxfont-xtt
xfs-xtt

Once I saw the rpoblems I uninstalled them with dselect but still had
the problems. The letters appear in the Gnome menus as well as in
Netscape and other apps.

I'm not sure that this was the cause of the problem since I'd made other
changes earlier. But none of them had shown any sign of problems. I did
notice that 2 copies of xfstt were running. Could that be the problem?

Thanks for any help. I know I'm not giving the best of clues as to what
might have happened.

Ken