How to configure X server for remote login with gdm

Hello

I'm trying to start an X server so that it gets its login screen
from a remote machine running gdm. But I haven't yet managed to
make it work.

The following machines are used:
asterix (192.168.1.1), Debian GNU/Linux unstable, gdm
obelix  (192.168.1.2), Debian GNU/Linux potato, X server

On asterix, I have the whole X system up and running, including
gdm. I have configured gdm to allow remote XDMCP requests.

On obelix, I have installed a potato including a minimal X system
(only X server with minimal set of client applications).

When I run `X -broadcast' on obelix (as root), I get the following
messages:

[usual X server messages]

AUDIT: Sat Jun 30 17:38:22 2001: 5127 X: client 1 rejected from IP 192.168.1.1 port 34472
AUDIT: Sat Jun 30 17:38:22 2001: 5127 X: client 1 rejected from IP 192.168.1.1 port 34473
AUDIT: Sat Jun 30 17:38:24 2001: 5127 X: client 1 rejected from IP 192.168.1.1 port 34474

On asterix, the file /var/log/gdm/obelix.watz.ch\:0.log contains the following:

Xlib: connection to "obelix.watz.ch:0.0" refused by server
Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
Xlib: connection to "obelix.watz.ch:0.0" refused by server
Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
Xlib: connection to "obelix.watz.ch:0.0" refused by server
Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server

I think these 6 lines correspond directly to the 3 message of the X server on obelix.

I assume that gdm accepts the connection, but it can't show the login window because
the X server on obelix doesn't allow it.

On connection of the X server on asterix, gdm creates the following file:
/var/lib/gdm/obelix.watz.ch:0.Xauth

I have also tried xdm instead of gdm, but it hasn't worked, neither.

On the other hand, when I start the X server on obelix with `X -ac -broadcast', all
works fine, I get the login screen and can log in.

The man page Xserver(1) says:

       -ac     disables  host-based  access  control  mechanisms.
               Enables  access  by any host, and permits any host
               to modify  the  access  control  list.   Use  with
               extreme caution.  This option exists primarily for
               running test suites remotely.

But I prefer using the default authorization mechanisms.

Does anybody know how I need to start or configure the X server on obelix
so that gdm on asterix is allowed tho show its login window?

Thanks for all hints.

Daniel

--
Say NO to HTML in mail and news.

GnuPG: 1024D/14E06AAF (public key available on any keyserver)