Re: Installing with 2.4 and ReiserFS

On Sat, 30 Jun 2001 16:45:37 +1000 (EST)
Mikael Gustaf Claesson <mgcl851@cse.unsw.EDU.AU> wrote:

> I've ordered a new notebook, and I was thinking that maybe I should try
> installing Debian. But I need kernel 2.4 and I want to use ReiserFS.
> Does
> that mean that I have to install from sid? And will that mean that the
> system will be very unstable? In that case I'll probably just go with
> Mandrake instead. What do you people think?

Hi Mike,

I am running sid on two machines myself, and I find it generally not more
unstable than the latest Mandrake releases (which have a reputation of
flakiness themselves). You will occasionally run into a problem, like last
week when pam broke and nobody could login. There is 2 solutions: 1. Don't
do daily upgrades :) and read debian-devel-announce, or 2. Make sure you
have your laptop up and running well and upgrade your other pc first (if
you have one that is). If something goes wrong, you can use the laptop to
ssh in, or read the mailinglists/newsgroups.

HTH,

Mart