Re: linux + win95 + grub partition woes

On Mon, Jun 25, 2001 at 03:34:27PM -0400, Timothy H. Keitt wrote:
| I got around to reinstalling windows 95 on my dell laptop so I could use
| the DVD.  Windows is installed on the 4th partition.  Everything works
| fine, but after I boot windows and then boot debian, I get error 17 from
| grub.  After booting from a floppy, and running cfdisk, I find that my
| non-windows partition types have changed (setting them correctly and
| issuing a "grub-install" fixes the problem until I boot windows again).
|  Is it possible to dual boot with win95 not on the first disk partition,
| or is there no way around it modifying the partition table?

What does your menu.lst file look like?  I remember some discussion a
while back that the way grub "hides" partitions is to toggle one of
the bits of type in the partition table.  If you don't explicitly
unhide then the bit is left.  Changing this bit changes the type so
that an OS doesn't think the partition is real (or something like
that).

HTH,
-D