Netscape 4.77 Java Fonts too large

Using Netscape 4.77 on a Progeny-Debian (Newton)system with Gnome 1.4,
I get HUGE bold fonts in Java Applets.

I've created an .Xdefaults file to clean up the toolbars and fonts
in the browser itself but I haven't seen anything in the Netscape.ad
file that might change the default fonts in  Netscapes 4.77 Java.

Anyone have an idea how I might be able to set a different default
font under Java or even an idea where I could look more info would be
appreciated.

I do most of my browsing with Opera but need Java on a couple sites
and Netscape handles those very well, ewxcept for the oversized bold
font.

  TIA