Re: An *idea* that *might* put Debian on top (?)

Marcus wrote:

Sounds basically like a good idea to me. It also sounds like a tall
order, but why not, if the security issue can be handled :-)

One thing I definately agree on is that Debian could do with easier
installation, or at least more user guidance.

Personally I decided on Debian after trying Suse and Red Hat first.
However, I've been following the Linux distro rankings in one computer
magazine (CHIP, Germany), and Debian is rated lowest amongst 7 others.
I think this is mainly due to lacking "user guidance" during setup and
package installation.

If we got this system up and running, Debian would be the *easiest* OS install anywhere! Debian would take over the planet!

What is the general opinion?
That Debian is not for users who cannot deal with it the way
setup/maintenance is designed now, or that it is a goal to also include
users unfamiliar with the command line someday?

What attracts *me* to Debian is it's fundamental basis of community and goodwill. This kind of system quickly becomes unattractive to any commercial OS, as it will facilitate not only ease of installation, but also copying, and it would (ideally) reduce/automate the need for tech support.

Basically I feel this could be the best chance that the open-source community has to both empower and popularize itself before Microsoft follows through with it's .Net domination bid. I see this idea as having the potential to be the David that topples Goliath. How does Debian-David sound for a name?