Re: CVS environment constants

On Fri, Jun 22, 2001 at 02:53:43PM -0700, MRZ wrote:
> Hello again.

Your mail software is broken, it does not break lines at +/- position 70.
Please fix it or use another program that you can fix.  It is cumbersome
to read and reply to.

> Just wondering if there is a standard way to store the cvs constants
> (e.g. CVS_RSH) such that terminals automagically "see" them when
> opened. I'm using one of three terms with eterm as my favorite, so the
> solution would hopefully be a one-step which would be used by all (the
> terminal that it).

These are called environment variables (not quite the same as shell
variables but similar).  Put environment variable assignments in your
~/.bash_profile and make sure that you source that file in turn in
~/.xsession.

If all is well (you will have to restart your whole X session) then every
program you start from within a login shell or your X session (including
window manager menus) will have these variables set in its environment.

> Of course I'm always open to someone directing me to the correct spot
> in the man pages, but I find the cvs man a little confusing since I'm
> not quite familiar with it yet..

Here's from the cvs(1) manpage:

CVS STARTUP FILE
       Normally,  when  CVS  starts  up, it reads the .cvsrc file
       from the home directory of  the  user  reading  it.   This
       startup procedure can be turned off with the -f flag.

       The  .cvsrc  file  lists CVS commands with a list of argu­
       ments, one command per line.  For example,  the  following
       line in .cvsrc:

       diff -c

       will  mean  that  the  `cvs  diff'  command will always be
       passed the -c option in addition to any other options that
       are  specified  in  the command line (in this case it will
       have the effect of producing context sensitive  diffs  for
       all executions of `cvs diff' ).

Cheers,

Joost