Re: problem

On Fri, Jun 22, 2001 at 03:29:21PM -0400, Comserver@aol.com wrote:
> I installed debial 2.1 and i forgot the root password.
> Can you tell me please how i can change the root password ?

If it is still running, switch to the text console (leftalt-f1) and
press ctrl-alt-del.  If it is off, turn it on.

Whe lilo comes up (it prints "lilo:" on your screen), press the left or
right shift key (sorry I forget - I just press both). :-)

Now press the tab key to see a list of bootimage names.  One is probably
named "Linux", let us assume so.

Type to the lilo prompt:  Linux init=/bin/bash

It will now boot and give you a shell when ready.

Now type:

  mount -n -o remount,rw /

  mount /usr

and open /etc/shadow with your favorite editor, like eg.:

  vim /etc/shadow

On the (probably first) line that starts with "root:" remove all the
characters between the first and second ':' characters.  Do not put in
any replacement, just leave it empty.  Save the file and exit.

  umount /usr

  mount -o remount,ro /

  sync

  sync

  reboot

Next time it comes up, you can login as root with empty password (just
hit enter).

Cheers,

Joost