Re: problem

On Fri, 22 Jun 2001 Comserver@aol.com wrote:

Hello,
> Dear Sir:
>
> I installed debial 2.1 and i forgot the root password.
> Can you tell me please how i can change the root password ?

There are several ways. The simplest is to make a rescue floppy (or boot
with the installation disk), mount your root, edit etc/passwd (on your
root system) and delete the 'x' on the root line:
root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash
root::0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash

As far as I know you can boot up your system as usual, login as root (but
you do not have to give the password), run passwd and enter your password.

Greetz,
Sebastiaan