Re: changing hostname

Ian and Nico,

thanks to the both of you but I think I'm goin to reinstall from scratch.

The solutions you suggest are too difficult for me and I have nothing important in this installation, so I have nothing to loose.

I don't want to take the risk to incurr in consequences of the changed hostname for the next months...

Since I'm at it I'd ask: I tryid to type "apt-get remove --purge samba" since I had messed with the smb.conf file and I wante to reinstall the one I found the first time.

The script said it was purging samba files but then I still found the /etc/samba/ directory with all the old files in it.

I removed it by hand.

It claimed that /var/samba was not empty so not removed but I found nor /var/samba dir.

Then I typed "apt-get install samba" and it installed it and automatically run sambaconf (or something).

But then I couldn't find anymore the smb.conf file !!

So how come it was there previously ? I didn't write it, neither the installer did. So who?

Could this  be the first problem in the changed hostname? Apt gets confused ?

Just a thought
Thanks, anyway
Bye
Adri

At 12.16 22/06/2001 +0000, you wrote:
> Adri,
>
> I'm in the habbit of reading loads of magazines / install guides / howto's
> and so on.
> They all warn for this situation. None of them give a way to 'solve' this.
> They 'just' pont out to 'think hard' at the domain and hostname part.
> I know that this does not help, so i hope this wil:
>
> Use cat  and grep on your config files in /etc to find your old hostname.
>
> This is not a wonder-fix but it *should* get you there....

I'd suggest:

find /etc/ -type f |xargs grep $HOSTNAME

rather than using cat, you'll get the names of any files containing matches
back using this method. Also, it may be worth changing the search base to /
as IIRC a search on a potato box turned up some matches elsewhere on the
filesystem...

hth,
Iain