Re: Odp: SiS6326

On Wed, Jun 06, 2001 at 10:32:46PM +0200, ahoj wrote:
| you have to use xf86config (NOT XF86Setup program).
| as far as i remmeber configuring this card, most problems i had were related
| to resolution and refresh rate.
|
| anyways:
| 1. when you run xf86config you should get to the screen where you actually
| choose your graphic card - IT IS on the list (the number is 628 - i remember
| that).
| 2. the graphic server for this card is XF86_SVGA. (this card does not
| support VGA server, so you should NOT use the default graphics server which
| is VGA.)
| 3. you MUST NOT probe this card - when you get to this option, choose NO
| (there will be two screens related to probing your card - in both cases
| choose the negative option)
| 4. memory size is of course 4096 Kbytes
| 5. as for monitor options you should use your exact figures - remember not
| to overclock.
|
| the setup under xf86config isnt that complicated as it seems to be. remember
| to follow above rules - i have the same card and it worked for me perfectly
| (potato 2.2r2).

I'm glad for a positive report :-).  Ok, now I know for certain which
XServer to use.  What happens if I probe the card?  Will it break it?
(IOW am I already screwed? I don't remember if I probed or not, but I
probably did once)  My card supposedly has 8MB RAM -- the package and
the boot-time logo say so.

| later you will have to work with you display modes... quite embarassing..
| any more questions, feel free to ask.

The monitor settings and display modes are where I'm not getting it
quite right.  The monitor is more-or-less hopeless because the ones I
have now are old junkers with no specs :-).  I need to get a new one.

| i hope i helped you a bit... :)

Yes.

Could you send me your XF86Config file?

I want to get a nice sizeable collection of XF86Config files that
actually work with the SiS6326 card so I can do some experimenting and
figure out how to set mine up.

-D