Re: Port Sentry

hi ya roderick

- portsentry is a hostbased detector...

- try using snort for port scan detection

- if you have a client site and your own facilities...
  i assume you/they both have firewalls on both ends
	- you prevent them from playing around in your lan
	- they prevent you from playing around in their lan

	- the local firewalls should block the traffic from
	getting to the other side ... if it doesnt and they
	wanted to send 1000 pings... their servers would be busy
	sending the request across the wire/vpn to be dropped
	at your end after they have successfully tied up your vpn
	by sending garbage or malicious data to your side of the moat

- nothing you can do about people that are allowed to be on
  the gateway/firewall boxes...that wanna play for fun....
	all other folks wouldnt get pass their local firewall

c ya
alvin
http://www.Linux-Sec.net