Re: <rant> grub <\rant>

Joost van der Lugt <jvdl@sirius.com> writes:

> <rant>
>
> OK so the darn thing is called grub, fine.
>
> hda1 = hd(0,0)
> fine to, if it has to be.
>
> But why the darn is there not a /etc/grub.conf file (or link) instead of
> the darn /boot/grub/file???
>
> And why the %*&^ does the dos example not work?
> ( which I had to dig out of PAGE_5 of the html docs!!! )
>
> Why not give a couple more working examples in the darn config file and
> then also put there that there is no need to run a grub command???
> <\rant>

I recently switched to grub after using lilo. And i have to say grub
is a great boot loader with tons of features. And i definitely prefer
it to lilo.

It took me a while to fully understand what it does. After all, it has
some 40 grub commands you can run at the grub prompt. Its also has the
easiest setup for making a boot+rescue floppy. I even put the menu file
on the floppy so i can use grub's graphical boot menu interface if
i use the floppy disk.

The info pages are fine but i needed more info and found it in the
May 2001 Linux Journal and at the IBM linux tutorials site:
http://www.cn.ibm.com/developerWorks/education/linux/l-grub_eng/