2.2 kernel vs. 2.4 kernel, please help!

Debian website says 2.4 is not really mature enough yet, does this mean
mature enough security wise also?

I am trying to figure out what kernel I should use, for the next 6 months at
least anyway. Security is my main objective, most other things can go to the
wall if they conflict.

But I would like my Nvidia card to work with a 2.2 kernel, and I would like
to be able to use cdrecord/xcd-roast, and other goodies too. I need to be
able to run XFree 4.1. I would like to be able to have sound, using a
SoundBlaster 128 Live card.

I would prefer iptables, since I know it has a LOG option to record all
incoming and outgoing like a packet sniffer for my modem dialup connection -
does ipchains with the 2.2 kernel have a comparable option? I want to see if
when I log into my POP3 server if my user and pass is sent in clear, etc etc.
I want to see everything passing on the wire.

Can I use iptables with a 2.2 kernel?

Given that I am super paranoid, maybe my old Debian 2.2r2 Potato is the best
bet for me.  Is there any reason why I may not be able to upgrade X to XFree
4.1 with this version of Potato?

Thanks :)

--
Penguin
penguin1@dodo.com.au

"Girls are for pleasure; boys are for ecstasy."