Re: /dev/dsp not found: KDE/ALSA

Hi!

Hmm, I don't have no idea :(. But I have looked through my modules.conf and
found the following entries:

# ALSA multiplexer

alias char-major-116 snd

# OSS Emulation multiplexer

alias char-major-14 soundcore

# ALSA card

alias snd-card-0 snd-card-es1968 (the latter is the module for my sound
card)

# OSS Emulator card

alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0

# OSS Emulation autoload

alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss

Maybe adding the missing entries helps. On this system where I have those
entries in modules.conf, respectively in /etc/modutils/aliases (the best is,
you add such entries to /etc/modutils/aliases -> run "update-modules" ->
they are written to modules.conf automatically), strangely enough only
setting the arts daemon to "open sound system" makes it work, but at least
the sound server works... The system had another soundcard before and with
this one, it worked absolutely the right way but now only with the "oss
trick".

Another try: I also have a second system here without any entries in
/etc/modutils/aliases (arts runs properly!); on this system the following
modules are loaded at bootup:

snd-card-sbawe (i.e. my sound card module)
snd-mixer-oss
snd-pcm-oss
snd-synth-emu8000 (i.e. the module for my AWE wavetable device)

Hmm, maybe the first or the second entries (or combine both ;)) help... Any
other suggestions by anyone else?

Cheers,

Stephan