Re: system hang while using Gimp aggressively

> Ctrl-Alt-Backspace didn't work, neither did cntrl-alt-delete. In
> general these both work. I'm using gnome-panel, enlightenment, and a
> fair pile of stuff - it's my work/development machine. So narrowing
> this down is hard. See my other post - I'm getting crashes besides the
> gimp, so now think it might be a kernel, X or hardware problem.
>
> Essentially it freezes, accepts no input, but X image stays up - ping
> works, but telnet and ssh do not, so no way to get in and terminate
> gracefully.

Your X freezes are definitely video related.. so running cpuburn and
memtests won't simulate the problem.  Check your X video settings --
make sure you're running within the specs of your video hardware and
that you're using the right driver/server.  You might just have some
bogus video hardware considering it's a new system, though that's a bit
of a longshot.

As for your freezing problem, if you're running ext2 or some other
filesystem that gets damaged (sometimes) when you don't shutdown, try
installing ACPI for your system power button.  This way, if X freezes
you can press the power button and your system will halt as usual, no
CTRL-ALT-BS needed to save your system. (There's a Magic SysRq way to do
this too.. but I forget.)

Cheers,
Matt