Re: No functional xterm access from "testing" KDE

Thus spake Xeno Campanoli:
> I've had this problem now for some time.  I seem to have gotten beyond
> some other problems which makes me think that something in this
> configuration is just left out.  There is an icon of a terminal partly
> covered by something green but it doesn't bring up an Xterm at all.  I
> also see no access to netscape, nor changing the window managers.
> Whatever this is, it's a real dead end for being able to do anything.

Not sure what to do about this, I think more info might help.  Do you
mean that the launcher button doesn't bring up a terminal?  What does
the preferences for thelauncher say?  Etc.

> Also, I still never got an answer to my question of weeks ago about how
> to change the window manager by editing a configuration file.  Doesn't
> anybody know this?  Is it really that complex just to switch window
> managers?

This is pretty easy.  If you haven't messed with your .xsession file,
and KDE is starting as the default, do as root:
update-alternatives --config x-window-manager
You will be presented with a list of window managers installed on your
box, and you can select what you would like the default to be.  This
default can always be overridden with an explicit setting in the
user's ~/.xsession file, e.g.,:
blackbox
HTH,
Steve
--
All syllogisms have three parts, therefore this is not a syllogism.