Re: How to switch from X to console (ctrl+alt+Fn)

on Thu, Dec 06, 2001 at 06:14:25PM +0100, Carlos Betancourt (carlos@tradeware.be) wrote:
> I have installed Potato in an old SparcStation IPC and everything works
> fine. However I'm unable to switch back to the console, as is normal in
> PC machines. I mean, I don't want to kill X; I want to use the
> ctrl+alt+Fn functionality.
> Is it possible to do it?

Yes.

Have you remapped your Control key (intentionally or otherwise)?  Many
people find the <CapsLock> key superfluous (or at least annoying in its
usual PC/Mac location), and map it to a more useful key.  There's a
"swap ctrl-capslock" feature in at least the XF86v3 configuration file
(not sure if it's in XF86v4, I use xmodmap explicitly).

You can also generally get to a specific virtual console by running the
'chvt' command as root:

    $ chvt <terminal number>

...where terminal is typically 1-6 for text consoles, or 7 for the first
X session.

Peace.