Re: Kernel lockups - how do I troubleshoot?

On Thu, 6 Dec 2001, Paolo Falcone wrote:

> jorel@austin.rr.com wrote:
>
> >I'd greatly appreciate it if anyone could either tell me how to or
> >point me to any info which will atleast allow me to gather info on the
> >crash, so that I can post it to linux-kernel.
>
> if it's specifically a kernel crash (as in Oops) you can use'the
> ksymoops utility for the kernel developers to help them track the
> source of your problem.

Unfortunately, I cant tell if it is an oops or not because the display
remains stuck in power saver mode. But thanks for the info.

> I doubt if it's really the kernel at fault there, though...
> have you tried checking the hardware? If everything still doesn't
> work despite the long hours of troubleshooting, then you might
> say that you've narrowed the problem to the kernel.

Not sure how I would go about checking the hardware. The only diag
routines that I have come across are for NIC's. And those too only seem to
run under DOS (sigh!). Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Jor-el