Re: Newbie question : gnome, bash, and ppp

Paul E Condon writes:
> A book that I used when setting up diald under Red Hat talks about a
> program, 'dip'. Is this related to your 'dip' group?

The group is named 'dip' because dip was once the standard Linux ppp
program.  There is still a dip package in Debian, but it is obsolete for
most purposes.  Don't use it.

To set up ppp run pppconfig as root, answer the questions and then use
'pon' to start ppp and 'poff' to stop it.  Use gpppon (a wrapper around pon
and poff) if you need a GUI.
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org (John Hasler)