Selecting paper tray for HP 2100TN with lprng

I've got an HP 2100TN and need to allow the users to select which paper
tray it prints from.  It's got a JetDirect card, but the printer's
internal queue is being fed by an lprng queue.  What do I need to do to
get this working properly?  (Or, in the likely case that this is a case
to RTFM, which FM do I R?  google was rather less than helpful.)

Also, I intend to replace lprng with CUPS Real Soon Now, so information
of doing this with that print engine would be helpful as well.

have already won. - reverius

Innocence is no protection when governments go bad. - Tom Swiss