backup vs package manager

I have tried fo find something - anything on this, but
nobody seems to bother with the question. So:

- doing backup, and restoring, is simple

- but, how do I keep package manager on track?

Especially given a partial backup, involving, f.ex. X.
If I upgrade X with apt-get or dselect, but things go
wrong and I restore my backup -  how do I put package
mabager back on track ...?

Or, do I backup just /home and leave all other stuff
in the Hand Of God and Package Manager ...?

	Juha Mäkinen
	<juha.makinen@koti.soon.fi>