Re: xdm, pam, pam_group, potato - not working

On Tue, Dec 04, 2001 at 09:35:27AM +0100, Matus fantomas Uhlar wrote:
> -> thanks! I was looking for exactly the same thing, but failed to understand
> -> pam correctly!
> ->
> -> I'm running pam 0.72-9, xdm 4.1.0-9 and login 19990827-20 on Potato, as a
> -> reference.
>
> Where did you get that version of xdm for potato?

Sorry, my bad. It's a potato install, with apt-get updates to woody as I need
the packages. (I don't have the bandwidth to do a dist-upgrade, and I rely on
dependancies in testing to be sane enough to keep my system sane. I've been
toldoff numerous times for this by more fanatic debianites, but it's never
failed me yet! :)

> -> > I use potato and try to set up xdm with pam, for being able to add secondary
> -> > groups to users logging in console viia xdm.
> -> >
> -> > however, using /etc/pam.d/xdm from unstable and configuring group.conf
> -> > didn't help;
> -> >
> -> > I added this line to /etc/pam.d/xdm:
> -> >
> -> > auth       optional   pam_group.so
> ->
> -> I did this too
> ->
> -> > and this line to /etc/security/group.conf:
> -> >
> -> > xdm ; * ; Al0000-2400 ; floppy,audio,shutdown
> ->
> -> By my understanding of the group.conf file, you're missing a field. I now
> -> have the following two lines, and it works.
> ->
> -> login ; * ; * ; Al0000-2400 ; floppy,audio,cdrom
> -> xdm ; * ; * ; Al0000-2400 ; floppy,audio,cdrom
>
> Oh sorry of course i have that one fiels. I did not paste it, i have that
> computer at home and I'm writing this mail from work.
>
> I copied the line from login (which works as I want) changed login to xdm
> but that doesn't help.

That's all I did too. /etc/pam.d/xdm and the lines to /etc/security/group.conf
...I don't know how to check if XDM uses pam, but it evidently is doing so
on my system!

my /etc/pam.d/xdm file reads as:
nautilus:/etc/pam.d# cat xdm
#%PAM-1.0
auth            required        pam_nologin.so
auth            required        pam_env.so
auth            required        pam_unix.so
auth            optional        pam_group.so
account         required        pam_unix.so
password        required        pam_unix.so
session         required        pam_unix.so
session         optional        pam_condev.so

while my group.conf file:

nautilus:/etc/security# grep -v "#\|^$" group.conf
login ; * ; * ; Al0000-2400 ; floppy,audio,cdrom
xdm ; * ; * ; Al0000-2400 ; floppy,audio,cdrom

Beyond that, and the package versions I'm using, I don't know if I can help
much more?

Good luck

.../Nemo