Re: OT: free cmd is lying to me

On Mon, Dec 03, 2001 at 10:13:43AM -0600, Michael Heldebrant wrote:
| On Mon, 2001-12-03 at 03:04, Holger Rauch wrote:
| > On 2 Dec 2001, Michael Heldebrant wrote:
| >
| > > IIRC from the Understanding the Linux Kernel book by O'Reilly, linux
| > > doesn't actually worry about memory until you actually use it.  I'm not
| > > sure if a malloc counts as using it for storing data since I'm no C
| > > programmer but unless you actually write to the memory linux doesn't
| > > bother setting up the actual pages since it's a waste for the system to
| > > make and tear down pages that are never accessed.
| >
| > You mean I actually have to write data to the malloc()ed memory region?
|
| I beleive so, if it's just malloced and not used the kernel won't bother
| making the page until the last second when it's needed for a read or
| write.  I'll go read my kernel book again and report back if thats not
| the case.

Read the book?  If it is in print, it is out-of-date with recent
volatility of the VM system.  Though I think you can get a good
point-of-reference from your book anyways.  Its even possible (likely,
I would think) that this hasn't changed (aside from bugfixes and
performance improvements).

-D

--

Windows, hmmm, does it come with a GUI interface that works or just
pretty blue screens?