Re: exim: misleading package description?

* Karsten M. Self (kmself@ix.netcom.com) wrote:
> on Thu, Nov 29, 2001 at 09:16:46PM -0800, Peter Jay Salzman (p@dirac.org) wrote:
> > satan$ dpkg -p exim
> > (snip)
> >  This MTA is rather easier to configure than smail or sendmail.
> >  It is a drop-in replacement for sendmail/mailq/rsmtp.
> >  Advanced features include the ability to reject connections from
> >  known spam sites, and an extremely efficient queue processing
> >  algorithm.
> >

> > i'm looking at:
> >
> > 	Advanced features include the ability to reject connections from
> > 	known spam sites
> >
> > exim can use rbl to reject msgs from spam sites.  but so can every
> > other MTA.

I do not have a particularly demanding situation, just my own mail and internal system messages to contend with, so I can't speak for high-volume or complex circumstances.  However, I use fetchmail-exim-mutt, without the usual procmail, because the exim filter capability pretty much handles everything.  The filtering is not as sophisticated as procmail, but does the job.  I have been able to find anti-spam scripts, which seem to work pretty well.  Once I got it through my head that I needed to set up the config file properly, it was a piece of cake.

It is not out of beta yet, but version 4 has a lot more included in it, including more sophisticated scripting.  If you have time to play before making a commitment, checking it out may be a good thing.  The exim-users list is nearly as busy as this one, so there's lots of help.

<snip>

> I think you're looking for a comparative essay on MTAs.  That's not my
> specialty.  However, a few thoughts off the top on Exim:
>
>   - Sane configuration files, particularly compared to Sendmail.  I
>     _can_ drop onto a box, read, and largely understand, an exim config
>     (I don't read the things routinely in my spare time, really).  Same
>     cannot be said for Sendmail.  Other "modern" MTAs (postfix, qmail)
>     likely have similar characteristics.  Not familiar with them.
>
>   - Good performance characteristics.  Through friends I hear of exim
>     configs which handle high mail loads, certainly higher than you'll
>     often hear (anectdotally) exim being supposedly capable of.
>
>   - Good security track record.  Sendmail's the black sheep here.  Exim
>     runs as an unprivileged user, and minimizes use of SUID ops.
>
>   - Good set of command-line ops.  The mail admin can list, query,
>     freeze and thaw, and delete, jobs.  Commands are largely Sendmail
>     compatible.
>
>   - Good conformance to standards, both mail and filesystem (qmail loses
>     on the latter).
>
> Exim's not the only option out there, but it's a good one.

I definitely echo all the above.  It's actually pretty easy to work with, and gives you a lot of control.

Cheers

Cam

--
Cam Ellison Ph.D. R.Psych.