Re: Thoughts on RTFM

> No-one, on any
> list, is going to attempt to answer a question like: "I just bought
> a CD and my computer won't read it. What's wrong?"

Um, I see that particular question on and off on different lists.
So you better think again sir.

> Tell me, [list], how would you phrase such a question so that it
> could be solved with "step-by-step instructions" that don't elicit
> the answer under discussion?

As others have said, many problems do not have a
step-by-step-solution. It simply does not exists. So forget about it
and approach the problem differently than asking for step-by-step
help.

I'm not a total newbie, so I would also write what I have
already attempted to do to get the darn thing to read the disc.
I do see the point. If I'm simply totally non-technical (like my
mother) I will have no clue about what could be wrong and my question
would be without any extra flesh on it.
But that doesn't mean that I won't get help.
When I see this question asked on lists, I also see replies that ask
for specific information and/or comes with suggestions about what to
try for starters.
If people really _want_ to be helped they will also go out of their
way to work with the people that try to help them.
Seldomly do I see that the problem does not get solved, although at
times it takes a long time because the user is not as techy as those
who help.
But the point is that help is being given.

So, sir, you are simply not right.

Cheers :o)

Johnny :o)