Re: NFS trys following remote symlinks as if local!

Adam Warner said:
> Hi all,
>
> I've come across this crazy problem and I hope someone knows what's
> going on.
>
> I am using kernel-level NFS. Debian unstable. 2.4.14. I have
> exported /
>
> I can mount the remote filesystem on my client machine no problem.
> But if I try to change to a remote symlinked directory I get, for
> example:

this is normal and expected behavior. all a symlink is is a pointer.
it points to a file. even if a file doesn't exist.

even on a local filesystem:
aphro@fury:/tmp$ ls -l test515
ls: test515: No such file or directory
aphro@fury:/tmp$ ln -s test515 blah515
aphro@fury:/tmp$ ls -l blah515
lrwxrwxrwx    1 aphro    aphro           7 Nov 19 17:30 blah515 ->
test515aphro@fury:/tmp$ cat blah515
cat: blah515: No such file or directory

it seems confusing at first(ive had to explain it to at least
one person at my company), but it really does make sense
once you realize whats goin on.

i believe it would be much more dangerous to have nfs
transparently share things that were symlinked to. say
you had a share /public that is writable, someone makes
a link to some private file outside the nfs share and nfs
follows it ..bad!! and all the more reason to use
relative links instead of static(?) ones.

nate