Re: ssh & X apps

on Mon, Nov 05, 2001 at 08:25:00PM -0800, nate (debian-user@aphroland.org) wrote:
> DvB said:
> >
> > from my machine at work and I'm getting "cannot connect to X
> > server" error messages (emacs says 'standard input is not a tty').
>
> make sure X forwarding is turned on on both client and server.
> by default it is usually off. in server edit the /etc/ssh/sshd_config
> file and turn it on/restart ssh. on the client either create a custom
> pref file, edit /etc/ssh/ssh_config or ssh to the host with the -Xoption. i also reccomend the -v option.
>
> so ..
>
> ssh -l username -v -X hostname
>
> my personal preference is:
> ssh -l username -v -C hostname -X

...finishing off that thought:  you then can launch an x client from
your remote shell, and it (all going according to plan) will appear on
your local display:

    $ xlogo

...should put a box with the X Window System logo on your desktop (I
like this app just for this purpose -- it's quick and light, tends to
work well even over a distant and slow connection).

Note that there's a world of difference between performance of X at your
local display and when run remotely from some arbitrary system somewhere
in the world -- slow pipes and latency reveal themselves quickly.

If you can ssh through your firewall, you should be able to run X11
apps, as everything is tunneled over your ssh (port 22) connection.

Peace.