Re: Unidentified subject!

on Wed, Oct 31, 2001 at 08:45:43PM -0600, Stephen E. Hargrove (stephen@virtual-attorney.com) wrote:
> does anyone know anything about core dumps?  i've got a program that's
> bombing out and i have no idea why?  it's producing a core dump, but
> it's all greek to me.

Please set your mailer/editor linewrap to 68-75 characters.  I strongly
recommend 72 as a good default.

Thank you.

There are a number of utilities which can help you find out what a
program's doing.  'strace' is one of the more common of these.

Core dumps are of limited to use to all but developers, and then only
with the proper processing tools and correctly configured binaries.  You
can eliminate core dumps by adding the line:

    set -c 0

...to your ~/.bashrc.  This sets the corefile size to zero, effectively
preventing it from being written.  This is the proper setting for most
users.

Core files may contain sensitive data and pose potential security risks.

Peace.