Trouble installing Woody onto picturebook

hi all -

i'm a semi-newbie to linux (i've used slackware for about 6 months but
haven't messed around too much), and I really wanted to try debian because
of their package management system.  the installation process had a lot of
warning/error messages and was wondering about a couple of things.

first of all, here's the setup.
I have a sony picturebook c1vp with a pcmcia DVD/CD-ROM drive.
I'm triyng to install from a vendor's CD set and here are some of the steps
i've taken during my install and weird messages I see popping up during
installation.

i added the boot parameters
boot: linux ide2=0x180,0x386

i chose as my installation directory, the /dists/woody/main directory (by
the way, is this right?) and chose the
woody/main/disks-i386/3.0.13-2001-08-25.

i configured no device driver modules , and my installation skipped over the
configuration of the pcmcia devices.

i then installed the base system at which point, it began retrieving all the
packages for the base system.  at the end, it tried to "create an empty
exim.conf so exim installs okay".  at this point i get an error message on
my screen.

Making /boot/boot.b a sym-link t boot-menu.b .  Change the sym-link if you
want boot-text.b or boot-compat.b .  Running /usr/sbin/liloconfig LILO, the
LInux Loader, sets up your system to boot linux directly from your hard
disk, without the need for a boot floppy.  Hmm. I think you're configuring
the base filesystem, and I'm therefore simply going to exit successfully
without trying to actually cofigure LILO properly.  If you're not doing
that, this is an important bug against Debian's lilo package, and should be
reported as such...

I then hit 'enter' and it continues on, asking me whether or not i want to
make my system bootable.  I choose yes and am asked to install LILO into the
MBR.  (Is there any way to NOT install LILO?)

I then reboot the system, it looks as it booted up ok (kernel 2.2.19) and
continues with the configuration.  When I set the timezone, i get the
following error message, "neighbor table overflow" several times before it
continues on to the password setup screens.  After this, I get to the
"Debian System Configuration" screen where it asks if I want to use a PPP
connection to install the system.  I hit 'no' and when it asks for method
apt should access the archives.  I choose cdrom but it just keeps stating
"the kernel doesn't recognize /dev/cdrom/ as a block device".

at this point i've tried remounting my cdrom but to no avail.

does anyone have any experience with this?  I will be trying 'potato'
tomorrow but was really hoping to get some of the newer stuff installed all
together.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide.

s.park