Re: Getting Grub to Recognize Kernel Update to 2.4.12

On Sun, 2001-10-28 at 07:44, Doc - KD4E wrote:
> If I run "apt-get install kernel-package" is it going to go out and find
> another copy of linux-2.4.12, download and install it as linux-2.4.12.tar.gz
> in /usr/src?  In that case there is no point since I already have a slightly
> older copy of the same file there that isn't getting the job done.

kernel-package does not contain a kernel, nor kernel source. It merely
contains the tools used to turn a linux source tree (which is what you
get if you 'tar -xzf linux-2.4.12.tar.gz') into a debian kernel package
(kernel-image-2.4.12_something.i386.deb). Once you have that package,
your can 'dpkg -i kernel-image-2.4.12_something.i386.deb', and debian
will put the kernel in /boot, and make a symlink to it as /vmlinuz.
Then, all you have to do is configure grub or lilo to use /vmlinuz at
the kernel image, and you'll be set.

--
Jeremy Nickurak -= gehn@email.com =-
"For every complex problem there is an answer