Re: How to fix device asignment oredre?

In article <[🔎] E15ptWK-0001Kh-00@master.debian.org> stanb@awod.com writes:
>I have a machine that hs 2 SCSI adpaters, and 2 network cards in it. How
>can I control what oreder the devices for these are asigned in? Both are
>PCI if it maters.

If they use different drivers, and are compiled in the kenel as
modules, you can control the order they are modproped in.  (order in
/etc/modules or whereever they are being loaded.) If one compiled in
the kenel and the other a module, the order is obvious.  If all are
compiled in, the kernel probing order determines it.

If they use the same driver, I think the driver scanning order
determines it.  This should be consistant, but what order is used is
not obvious.  It may even be affected by the presense/absence of other
cards in other slots.  On my system with a 3c905b card and a 3c905? on
the motherboard, the motherboard is eth1.
--
Blars Blarson 					blarson@blars.org
				http://www.blars.org/blars.html