Re: mouse problems in KDE

On Sat, Oct 06, 2001 at 01:16:17AM -0400, tim wrote:

> I am not sure where this problem lies.  The mouse seems to work fine
> from the console. It also seems to work fine at the kde login screen,
> but once kde loads I can not move the mouse smoothing, it mouse jumps
> all over the place and adds random mouse clicks.

The problem is that gpm (the console mouse daemon) and X are conflicting
with each other.  For some reason the Linux psaux driver doesn't do a
very good job at abstracting access to the ps/2 mouse interface.  This
problem never shows up in FreeBSD, which has a better driver for this
hardware interface.

If you don't use gpm, you can simply remove it.  Then X will be able to
access the ps/2 port without any trouble.  If you do use GPM, then you
should be able to tell X (in XF86Config) to use /dev/gpmdata as the
mouse device.  The protocol information should remain unchanged.

noah