NIS/NFS alternatives?

I'm administrating a network of Debian potato machines using NIS/NFS at
a small high school right now.  We're behind a pretty beefy firewall,
but I still know it's not very secure.  I couldn't get LDAP
authentication working and I only had 2 days to do the whole thing.
Probably at the end of the year, I am going to upgrade the lab to woody
(which will hopefully be stable) and reconsider
filesharing/authentication.  I'd like each user to be able to sit down
at any workstation and be able to access their files.  Any ideas?

I'll probably give OpenLDAP another shot, thereby replacing NIS, but NFS
isn't known for its security either.  Anyone have any good or bad things
to say about CFS, OpenAFS, or NFS/stunnel?  What would be the easiest to
administrate while still providing decent security?  Keep in mind these
machines aren't exactly holding top secret documents.  It has to be easy
to administrate (I won't be there 99.999% of the time) and reliable.
Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

--Greg