Re: Trying to figure out where the kernel sources went.

On Fri, Oct 05, 2001 at 04:00:31PM +0200, HdV@DTO.TUDelft.NL wrote:
> apt-get install kernel-source-2.2.19pre17
>
> and also
>
> apt-get install kernel-headers-2.2.19pre17

You don't need the headers package if you install the source
one... the headers come with the source. I would `dpkg -r
kernel-headers-2.2.19pre17`.

> /usr/src/kernel-headers-2.2.19pre17-compact
> /usr/src/kernel-headers-2.2.19pre17-idepci
>
> Which one of those two do I use? Uname doesn't specify either of them.

I would delete them both.

> There's also a file kernel-source-2.2.19pre17.bz2 in /usr/src I presume these
> are the kernel sources, but shouldn't they be unpacked somewhere? If I need to
> do that myself, where should I put them?

It's not automatically unpacked. Do a `bzcat kernel-source* | tar xv`
or something to unpack it (you will need bzip2 to be able to do this).
It will create a dir called something like `kernel-2.2.19pre17`. You
then need to create a link to it like so:

    ln -s /usr/src/kernel-2.2.19pre17 /usr/src/linux

It's important that it be called "linux"... a number of utilities
assume that that's where your kernel source is.

> P.S. I have found the kernel how-to, but that didn't answer my questions.

If you unpack the original kernel source from kernel.org it will be
unpacked into a directory named "linux" already. Hence the how-to's
and so forth assume that you don't need any help on that part.

Good luck... and if you need any more help just ask. Oh, make sure
that you can boot with your original kernel in some way before
installing the new one. You most likely won't get it perfectly right
the first time through.

--
John Patton                      patton66@home.com

"Contrary to popular belief, Unix is user friendly. It just
happens to be very selective about who its friends are."