Crash postmortem.

I've been experiencing some system instability lately.
The system crashes like once a week or something. Ctrl-Alt-Delete has no
effect. And I can't even ssh in from another host to do a graceful shutdown.
Of course I'm not asking any of you to analyze my problem with this little
informatation. Rather I'm asking for tips an general methods for analyzing
crashes after the fact. Or maybe some prog that monitor all processes and
warns me when something is starting to go haywire?

--
oivvio polite

cell +46 (0)709 30 40 30 / phone +46 (0)8 669 64 18 / fax +46 (0)8 84 00 18
varvsgatan 10A / s-117 29 stockholm / sweden