Re: how to install debian originally from cd but copied to HD

----- Original Message -----
From: Michael Heldebrant <hmike@portalofevil.com>
To: <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Friday, October 05, 2001 3:40 AM
Subject: Re: how to install debian originally from cd but copied to HD

> On Thu, 2001-10-04 at 14:12, ramsubs wrote:
> > i'm a linux newbie and playing around with debian to learn. i've
> installed and reinstalled it many times but the routine of swapping cds
> (from the 3 cd-set) is bothersome.
> >
> > so i partitioned my HD increasing it by 3 partitions with the idea of
> copying the 3 cds into the 3 partitions, and subsequently trying to
> install from the HD direct. (partitions are fat32; but i had no problems
> reading the boot floppies info from hda6)
> >
> > the installation process asks for sources from CDROM, filesystem, ftp,
> http,.. I picked filesystem assuming i could refer to my local
> partitions.
> >
> > i had to modify the /etc/apt/sources.list to read from the 3 new
> partitions (hda6, hda7, hda8) but i'm stumped. i get error messages.
> typically i used a line such as:
> >     deb file:/hda6/dists/potato/main/binary-i386/Packages
> > (the installer prompted this asking if i wanted to edit the file
> manually, and then displayed ae to edit the file)
> >
> > i've checked man apt.get, apt.conf, sources.list but they don't
> provide help i need (at least to my little understanding).
> >
> > hope someone can help me.
> >

> Firstly please don't post to the list in html.

sorry, i didn't realize it. will fix that. let me know if this one doesn't
come out okay.

>  What I BELEIVE you are

you believed perfectly...

> going to need to mount each of these partitions as a file system let's
> for the sake of ease create cdrom1 cdrom2 cdrom3 in /mnt.  I'm not sure
> if apt is going to be able to understand the schizophrenia of the three
> sources since I've never installed from cd copied to hd, or cd for that
> matter.
>
> So from a console (alt-f2 and enter) after you get the install running
>
> cd /mnt
>
> or if it isn't there just do it from the root system and adjust

wonderfully existed there... and worked just like that.

> accordingly, I haven't installed in a a while.
>
> mkdir cdrom1
> mkdir cdrom2
> mkdir cdrom3
> mount -t vfat /dev/hda6 /mnt/cdrom1
> mount -t vfat /dev/hda7 /mnt/cdrom2
> mount -t vfat /dev/hda8 /mnt/cdrom3

everything went fine here too... (beginning to love debian more...)

> then in sources.list:
>
> deb file:/mnt/cdrom1/dists/potato/main/binary-i386/Packages
> deb file:/mnt/cdrom2/dists/potato/main/binary-i386/Packages
> deb file:/mnt/cdrom3/dists/potato/main/binary-i386/Packages
>
> That should work for you.

now i really love debian.

however, just for the record, i hadn't understood the construction of the
"deb file" statement so the lines above that you copied from me are my
mistake.
for the record, after experimenting a bit, i found the right structure.

deb file:/mnt/cdrom1/  potato  contrib main
deb file:/mnt/cdrom1/  potato/non-US  contrib main
(i was a little anxious here doing a "potato/main", but boy what joy when it
worked. newbie glee!)

deb file:/mnt/cdrom2/  potato  contrib main
deb file:/mnt/cdrom2/  potato/non-US  contrib main

deb file:/mnt/cdrom3/  potato  contrib main
deb file:/mnt/cdrom3/  potato/non-US  contrib main

i was unsuccessful in trying to directly refer to the Packages file (as in
the earlier incorrect code-statement). the installer didn't return any
informative error message except to say "Malformed Line". i remember reading
in man sources.list that i should end the line with "/"; i tried but it
complained the same.

> --mike

everything worked like a charm.

thank you so much mike.