Re: Postscript printer doesn't work...

On Thu, Oct 04, 2001 at 01:50:48PM -0600, Michael Fontenot wrote:
| I recently installed debian 2.2r3, including the various "parport"
| driver modules and the lp module.  I also istalled "lpr".  When
| the lpr command didn't print, I installed apsfilter, but it failed to
| print the test page.
|
| I have a postscript parallel printer (Optra Ep), which is supposed
| to make things easy.  I specified lp0, and all of the other questions
| asked by apsfilter seemed straighforward, so I don't know why
| lpr still doesn't print.  Any advice?

What does
    echo "hello world" >> /dev/lp0
do?  It should at least cause the printer's data light to blink.  If
it does nothing or gives an error, then you probably don't have any
connection to the printer.  Does the printer support any other
protocol, eg PCL?  If so then you should see the text printed (you may
need to do a "form feed" on the printer's panel to get the paper to
come out).  If you can get anything (even "garbage") to come out of
the printer you are set -- then you can send postscript data with no
problem.  If not, then you have to figure out why you can't get data
to the printer.

HTH,
-D