Re: NIS and initgroups

In article <[🔎] 99695890041DD4118D2F00D0B748B0A60478A721@zuk02exm01.comm.mot.com>,
Bristow Paul-BPB007  <Paul.C.Bristow@motorola.com> wrote:
>Thanks but I don't think there's a problem with the group map as it's
>working with a lot of other machines (hp-ux/solaris/mandrake).  I did

But perhaps mandrake is using a 2.4 kernel with 32 bit uid/gid support?

>the "ypcat group" as you suggested on a working machine and it all
>looked normal.  When I did the same thing on the debian machine I got
>the same thing back, the group map from the nis server!  Given that my
>group line is "group: files" surely this shouldn't be happening?

Ofcourse that should happen. 'ypcat' doesn't look at /etc/passwd
or /etc/group or /etc/nsswitch.conf, it just transfers a NIS
map from a NIS server.

>I checked the gids as well and there all very low numbers.  Any suggestions?

Yep - login as root on a VT, then change /etc/nsswitch.conf to
use NIS. See under what pid another getty is running on a VT, and
strace it (something like strace -f -p put_pid_here -s512 -o login.trace).
Then login on that VT and let the error occur.

After that you should have a nice trace of what happened in
"login.trace". Possibly you can see what went wrong right away-
if not, send me the trace.

NOTE: your root password may be in the trace, edit it out or
trust me, but DO NOT send the trace to this list.

Or change the root password to 'fnord' just for the trace session.

Mike.
--
Move sig.