Re: SPAM WARNING: spammers use Debian lists for harvesting

On Thursday 04 October 2001 04:54 am, P Kirk wrote:

> Its my impression that there are only a few email harvesters out there
> and that they don't work very hard.  Perhaps once you have a list with a
> million names, its not worth wasting time building a new one.

I suspect there is some truth to that.

> That was over 3 years ago.  Since then I have used pknews all over
> usenet and patrick in quite a few mailing lists.  Yet over half the 20
> or so pieces of spam I get every day are to that old pkirk address which
> hasn't been used publicly in 3 years.

About half of the spam I get these days is addressed not to my real address
but to about half a dozen addresses of the form

m2k91dd8zv.fsf@twocups.sirinet.net

always beginning with "m2" and ending with ".fsf" and not to my ISP's mail
server but directly to my Linux box.  It took me a while to figure out they
aren't email addresses at all.  They're usenet message ID's generated by
gnus.  Gnus was my mail and news reader of choice for several years before I
embraced KDE, but I haven't posted to usenet from gnus in a couple of years.

> Perhaps I need to get out more :-(

Perhaps we all do.  :-}

--
Bud Rogers <budr@sirinet.net>
They have awakened a sleeping giant and filled him with a terrible resolve.