Re: directly installing a deb package

On Wed, Oct 03, 2001 at 10:10:36PM +0100, Alex Hunsley wrote:
> I've downloaded a .deb package from the net and want to install it. How do I
> tell apt-get that I'm giving it a direct file name rather than having it
> looking at the places in sources.list?

You don't.  apt-get primarily handles the list of available packages
and their retrieval; the actual manipulation of the packages is
handled by dpkg.  If you've already downloaded the package yourself,
you need to call dpkg directly, like so:

dpkg -i /path/to/package.deb

have already won. - reverius