Re: emacs related

Thus spake Ben Hartshorne:
> On Sat, Sep 29, 2001 at 10:42:55PM +0530, Jeffrin Jose T. wrote:
> >
> >  How to fix emacs such that it does not
> >  typically do lines longer than 75 columns ?
> >

> I think what you're looking for is the 'set-fill-column' and
> 'auto-fill-mode' option.  The trick is applying it.  Someone on this
> list can add to my post -- I don't know how to apply it to the current
> buffer, because it requires an arguments (the number of characters per
> column).  I use it in my .emacs file:
>
> (add-hook 'text-mode-hook
> 	  `(lambda ()
> 	     (column-number-mode 1)
> 	     (line-number-mode 1)
> 	     (menu-bar-mode 0)
> 	     (auto-fill-mode 1)
> 	     (set-fill-column 92)))
>
> This tells it to wrap at 92 characters when I'm in text mode.  I don't
> want it to wrap when I'm in programming (C, java, perl, whatever) mode,
> so I leave that hook out of the 'C-mode-hook.
>
> -ben

 If you're looking for this for email with mutt, try this:
 create a file called .emacs-mutt (or whatever you want to call it)
 and put this in it:

 (setq-default fill-column 72)
 (setq-default default-major-mode 'text-mode)
 (setq-default text-mode-hook 'auto-fill-mode)

 In your .muttrc files add:
 set editor="emacs -l ~/.emacs-mutt"

 Somebody just passed this on to me a few weeks ago - but then I
 discovererd vim :-)
 Good luck,
 Steve
--
Bleeding Ponytail:
	An elderly, sold-out baby boomer who pines for hippie or