startx immediately after console login

I am trying to figure out the best method to automatically startx after
a user logs in from the console.  I know I could accomplish easily by
using a graphical display manager, but I would prefer to avoid that if
at all possible.  I have tried a couple of methods thus far, with less
than satisfactory results.  I have tried to simply run 'startx' from
/etc/profile for non-root users, and while that works, every time I try
to bring up a term I get:

Fatal server error:
Server is already active for display 0
        If this server is no longer running, remove /tmp/.X0-lock
        and start again.

I also tried the method of calling startx that automatically logs you
out of the console, i.e.:

	startx -- :1 1>.startx.log 2>&1 &  exit

which does log me out of the console, but also doesn't bring up x (it
seems like it is about do, and then dies before actually taking over the
display.

So, optimally, I would like X to start automatically after logging in
from the console, and for the console session to be terminated (like the
above does when called from the command line) so when the user exists
the wm, they are already logged out of the console.

Any help is appreciated.

-Rob