Re: Maintaining woody/sid mixtures

On Sun, Sep 16, 2001 at 12:38:31PM -0700, Richard Warren wrote:
| First, thanks to everyone who helped me get started.
| I'm using the /etc/apt/preferences file and I'm now
| able to keep my woody installation without having
| dselect constantly want to uninstall my KDE2.2 and
| Koffice.
|
| However, I'm still having troubles with dselect. Even
| though I used apt-get to install the sid elements that
| I wanted, apparently there are some conflicts that
| apt-get didn't see.

dselect tells you that you need "Recommends" packages, not just
"Depends" packages.  This would be my guess.  See which packages
dselect is talking about and use 'apt-cache showpkg <name>' to see
what is in the Depends, Conflicts, and Recommends lines.

| As an unrelated third question, what's the best way to
| upgrade the kernel? I would like to move to a 2.4
| kernel if possible. I thought the dist-upgrade to
| woody would take care of that, but it looks like I've
| still got 2.2.

The system will not automatically play with your kernel because that
is dangerous.  An automated tool is fairly unlikely to correctly guess
what setup you want/need and many people like to build their own
custom configured kernels from scratch.  As a result you need to
explicitly install it with 'apt-get install kernel-image-<version>'.

There are a few changes in the 2.4 kernel package that you should be
aware of before you upgrade :
    o   the ide-cdrom support is in a module, not built in
    o   you need to configure your boot loader to provide an initrd to
        the kernel when booting
    o   you will not have USB keyboard support unless you adjust the
        config a little (the simplest way would be to add the usb
        modules to /etc/modules)
    o  umm, anything else I missed?

Having said all that, I have been quite happy with my 2.4.8 kernel.  I
recompiled it to include framebuffer support (and have a better
console now) and the devfs and usb support is cool.

HTH,
-D