Re: cdrecord

On Mon, 2001-09-17 at 06:07, Robert Waldner wrote:

> On Sun, 16 Sep 2001 14:37:21 PDT, jjheuring writes:
> >Linux 2.2.19pre17-compact #1 Mon Apr 2 01:35:19 PDT 2001 i686 unknown
> >ide BTC cdrw
> >
> >just did an 'apt-get install cdrecord'
> >
> >as I understand I should not have to recompile my kernel or edit
> >lilo.conf
>
> For IDE-writers you have to have IDE-SCSI-support in your kernel, so
>  you´ll quite probably will have to roll your own. See the cdrecord-docs
>  for the IDE-SCSI-bit and search the mailinglist-archives for the
>  Debian-way of compiling and installing custom kernels (there´s
>  documentation in /usr/doc/.. somewhere, but that´s at a level of
>  complexitivity as to be somewhat useless </rant>).

That, I believe, isn't necessary. I started burning with a prepackaged
kernel. You just need to:

(1) add something to lilo or grub that will tell the kernel to seize the
cdrom for ide-scsi emulation. Something like:

"hdc=ide-scsi"

(2) load the appropriate module. Something like:

insmod ide-scsi

BTW the prepackaged kernel should contain all the cruft you should hope
to need.