Re: runtimes

* Richard Warren (rikiwarren@yahoo.com) [010916 12:24]:
> OK, Debian runtime levels seem...well...different.
>
> I'd like to have two different runtimes. One that
> boots into X and one that doesn't--but that still
> offers network support and other goodies.
>
> Am I going to run into problems if I muck around with
> the default runtime settings. Maybe set 5 as the
> default and have it launch X. Use eihter 2 or 3 for
> the console level?

Not at all -- that's exactly what they're there for. Debian creates all
runlevels (well, 2-5, anyway) equally, and allows the administrator to
define each as she sees fit. The only caveat is that you should leave
one runlevel untouched, so that dpkg doesn't think that certain
initscripts are missing entirely.

--
Vineet                                   http://www.anti-dmca.org
Unauthorized use of this .sig may constitute violation of US law.