Re: Unidentified subject!

On Mon, Sep 17, 2001 at 12:52:20AM +0000, Rajesh Fowkar wrote:
> Bcc:
> Subject: Re: CPU Overclocking & Kernel compile

(Please check your e-mail program to make the headers go in the
headers, it helps the e-mail system associate questions and
answers).

> This is at one of my clients place. He has got an athlon machine. Are there
> any issues in compiling the kernel on a different machine with a different
> processor ? Now I am thinking of compiling the kernel for this Celerone
> machine on the Athlon machine. I will set the parameters for kernel as per
> the celerone machine. Will this create any problems ?

No real issues because they are both variants of i386 and are
considered one and the same architecture by Debian.  The
precompiled kernels on the Debian ftp site are made this way.

> What is the best way to compile kernel like this ?

On the compilation machine
1. Run the same general version of Debian as your client (potato,
  woody or sid).

2. Install kernel-source-xxx and kernel-package (they rightly suggest
  each other).

3. Unpack the tar.bz2 kernel sources installed by kernel-source.

4. Follow the specific instructions in /usr/doc/kernel-package.
  Be sure to do the extra steps to include the client name in
  the kernel version number.

5. This results in a kernel-image-2.2.x_2.2.xclientname1.deb.
  Copy that to the client machine.

On the client machine:

Install the new .deb like any other .deb, e.g.

dpkg -i kernel-image-2.2.x_2.2.xclientname1.deb

> :
> [Linux One Stanza Tip]	From : <bish@nde.vsnl.net.in>
> LOST #013	 -**< Sub : Locking a directory >**-
> To "lock" a directory under your $HOME directory for privacy
> of data, do:
> $chmod 000 dir/  .... ["root" still has access though]
> Changing permission to 000 even denies an ls to  that dir by
> all users. You need to do chmod 755 or 777 (for access).

Try
$ chmod --recursive 700 dir
this allows access only for you and root

--
This message is hastily written, please ignore any unpleasant wordings,
do not consider it a binding commitment, even if its phrasing may