Re: zlib and files >2GO

* Alan Shutko (ats@acm.org) [010910 10:22]:
> Patrick Barrett <yebyen@nerdland.org> writes:
>
> > I believe (not sure for a fact, but fairly sure) that zlib has nothing
> > to do with this size limitation... it has something to do with kernel
> > 2.2.x.
>
> I'm not completely sure about that.
>
> The currently released version of gzip, which (afaik) zlib is based
> on, cannot handle >2GB files, even on a system with large file
> support.  It may be that zlib has the same limitation, but I was
> unable to find anything out.

If this is the case (as it may well be; I know little to nothing about
this subject), you may have better luck using pipes and redirection
instead of having gzip itself deal with the large files:

gzip - < big_big_huge_big_file > big_big_huge_file.gz

gunzip - < big_big_huge_file.gz > big_big_huge_big_file

Of course, that will still only work if your kernel supports it.

--
Vineet                                   http://www.anti-dmca.org
Unauthorized use of this .sig may constitute violation of US law.