Re: Speeding up GPG

* Casper Gielen (casper@huiscomputer.homeip.net) [010915 14:04]:
> Hi,
> I've set up to use GPG, it seems to work fine. However loading a signed
> message takes annoyingly long, 10 to 20 seconds. As I get quite a lot of
> mail, much of which is signed this is a pain in the butt. I'm on a
> PIII500 so processor speed is probably not the bottleneck. I suspect
> it's connecting to the keyserver which makes it so slow. Is this a valid
> assumption. If so, is there a way to speed things up, eg by some kind of
> proxy. I've installed the package containing the debian keyring, but
> that doesn't seem to improve anything.

open up your muttrc and add the --no-auto-key-retrieve option to the gpg
call. Of course, you won't automatically retrieve keys, but it will
speed things up. You can also just leave it the way it is and send it an
interrupt (^C) any time it lags to skip the key retrieval (and the
signature verification) and just show the message.

See man gpg for info on the --no-auto-key-retrieve option.

--
Vineet                                   http://www.anti-dmca.org
Unauthorized use of this .sig may constitute violation of US law.