tar copying problems for "/" to "/mnt"

i have a big enough hd to play with xfs or jfs so whenever there are
new patches that would arrive i copy my "/" (i'm using only one
partition) to "/mnt" which points to my spare partition.  to do this i
use tar with the commands:

cd /; tar cf - / | (cd /mnt; tar xf - )

this works fine but i get this timestamp messages:

tar: Archive contains future timestamp 2001-09-16 20:33:45

so i played around with tar's switches and i've even used the "-p" but
i the same timestamp message although a different date and time of
course.

now i'm trying this:

tar cplf - -C / . | tar xvpf - -C /mnt

this time with the "-l" switch.  i got that from someone in this list
who seem to be having no problems with it as he didn't mention any.

question is how are the rest of you copying your partitions when you
play around with this new filesystem types like xfs or jfs?

--
"In is out and out is in.  But out is out and in is in."
	-- Pumbaa